The National Commission for Scheduled Castes (NCSC) has issued a notice to the Punjab Government and Directorate of Census Operations, Punjab, seeking an action-taken report regarding the alleged use of a casteist term in the online form for Census 2026, which is currently underway.
The notice, issued on May 14, is addressed to the Principal Secretary, Department of Social Justice and Empowerment and Minorities, Punjab, and the Director, Directorate of Census Operations, Punjab.
Advertisement
The action follows a complaint submitted on May 6 by Hardeep Singh Gill, Vice-Chairperson of National Commission for Safai Karamcharis, alleging that objectionable caste-related terminology was being used in the official list linked to the upcoming census exercise.
Advertisement
Notably, The Tribune had carried a report titled “Punjab labour bodies protest ‘casteist’ term in Census 2026 online form, demand correction” on May 5, highlighting objections raised by several organisations over the terminology used in the digital census form.
The controversy concerns a column in the form meant for recording caste details, where a term considered derogatory and offensive to Scheduled Castes has allegedly been included.
In the notice issued by Deputy Director Dr R Stalin, the commission stated that it had decided to inquire into the matter under the powers conferred on it by Article 338 of the Constitution of India. The commission has sought a detailed action-taken report within 15 days of receipt of the notice.
The notice warned that if no reply is received within the stipulated period, the commission could exercise the powers of a civil court under Article 338 and summon officials to appear before it, either personally or through a representative.
Interestingly, the format attached to the notice sought details usually linked to criminal cases, including the FIR number, sections invoked, arrests made, charge-sheet status, and compensation details under the SC/ST (Prevention of Atrocities) Act.
Speaking to The Tribune, Navjot Kaur Khosa, Director, Directorate of Census Operations, Punjab, said they had received the notice and were preparing a reply.
Meanwhile, sources in the Directorate said a complaint had been received regarding an “objectionable” word, but added that the list of castes was provided by the Department of Social Justice and Empowerment and Minorities. “The list of castes was amended in 2007 and was used during the last Census in 2011 as well. We sought the list this time as well and used the notified list accordingly. Therefore, the Census Directorate had no role in its preparation, since it is a notified list,” they said
